Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chemo Again...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I started chemo again on Thurs, 18 February. I haven't felt very motivated to update my blog. I guess if I don't talk about it, it didn't or won't happen. Wouldn't that be nice!

Having a recurrence of my cancer is something that we knew was a likely possibility, but something we neither expected nor planned for. (Denial has been one of our strong suits.) We had never researched what would come next if the cancer returned. Since surgery, we have gotten opinions from 3 doctors.
The first opinion was from my doctor in Seattle with whom we have been doing the study vaccine. We then got an opinion from my oncologist here in Ogden, and then another one from my breast oncologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. All three of the doctors are on the same page, relatively speaking. Which is to say, that no one has the answer. No one knows how successful the treatments will be. At least they all mentioned the same chemotherapy drugs....
So, the plan is to do weekly chemotherapy treatments for 4-6 months. I've never done chemo consecutively for that long, but we will see how it goes. I will get another PET scan in 2-3 months to see if the chemo is effective.
This has definitely knocked us for a loop. I'm not sure which has been harder, this or the initial diagnosis. That may sound odd, but we really do well living in denial.
We are recovering from our shell shock and are so grateful for all of the faith, prayers, service, cards, flowers, and meals.

Much love from grateful hearts,
The Stanleys

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry about your continual struggles. I wish I could do or say something that would be helpful, but as I have learned a lot of those things don't ease the frustration, pain or make it go away. The last thing is what would be totally awesome. If you are ever at Huntsman, let me know, maybe I can come visit. We still have another 4 to 5 months of treatment. If I lived closer, I would bring your kids some hot dogs! I know how much you love them! :) You and your family are in my prayers. Love you. Stephanie

meegz said...

You are looking more and more beautiful by the day! Love seeing these pics of you and the kids.
I enjoyed your comment today in RS....
I love YOU -- SMILE!!

Kayla said...

I wish I was closer to help out. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Your faith and strength inspire me! (BTW, I'm a big fan of denial...very guilty of it myself.)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanel.
Thanks for the update. I'm praying for a speedy 4 months!!! Any time for visitors to stop by? I'm coming :) Ryker's pictures are to cute!!

Miss you lots!
xoxo
michelle

Shelley said...

Jeanel-
I don't know if you remember me...think back to Varsity Softball at ML, Shelley Koch, class of '89. I still remember you showing me how to blow bubbles off your tongue while we were waiting for fly balls out in the outfield! :) I am so sorry to hear what you are going through! You are incredibly strong and a beautiful example to all women! You and your family are in our prayers!
God bless you!
-Shelley (Koch) DeMark and family

karenhroth said...

Jeanel,
I think about you and everything you are going through all the time. I wish I was closer to see you and help you in any way I could. I can't wait to see you this weekend...it's been WAY TOO LONG!!!!!
XO,
Karen