Saturday, September 27, 2008

Miracles and Loving Friends

Busy week with lots of great updates.
Chemo #12 was on Wednesday. It was a long day because I got my monthly bone treatment, my regular chemo, and a triple dose of Herceptin. I was also able to meet Amber, who has been battling Inflammatory Breast Cancer for over a year and has a young family. It was nice to talk with her and I look forward to getting to know her better.
After chemo I spent most of the day in my room trying keep my activity level down because of the PET scan on Thursday. I also had to eat a high protein/low carb diet that day-- just about killed me.
On Friday we got my PET scan results back which show that all of the previous sites (3+ bones, liver, lymph nodes, and right breast) have resolved, except for the thyroid area. A mighty miracle!! I kept reading and re-reading the results with such a grateful heart!!
On Friday we also excepted an offer on our lot and expect to close mid October.
This week I also was surprised with an ipod and gift cards from my grad school friends. I am so grateful for their generosity and thoughtfulness. I'm excited to have something that I will use all of the time that will remind me of them and the fun times we shared. The timing is great, as I will be laid up for the next month+ and luckily I will see my nephew, Spencer, so that he can get things figured out for me.
I was also surprised by a gift from friends at church who had donated to the Susan Koman Cancer Fund to win opportunities to win a quilt. Lucky for me they were successful and now I have a beautiful, comfy quilt made by the Utah Quilting Guild. It is awesome! Thank you so very much. I will feel of your love frequently as I wrap up in my new quilt.
As I look back on this week and think about how I have felt the past little while, I realize that even when I am sad at night, wishing for the days when my cares were much more simple, God has been with me. It has not been easy and there have been times when my sadness has been overwhelming, but I know that the Lord has strengthened me that I might bear this burden. I am so grateful for the miracles I have experienced along the way and have faith that there will be more.
Please continue to pray, especially as I head into surgery this week. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Love, Jeanel

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanel,
Hugs and prayers as surgery week approaches. What a milestone! Thank you for sharing your pictures/thoughts over the last few weeks. I can't wait to see you :)
love, michelle

Rick said...

We can't believe your good news! Rick is about to call you, but we just had to comment and say that we are so excited!! Love you!

Rick and Page

Melissa-Mc said...

Oh Jeanel, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. You are amazingly brave and I can tell you are a great mom.

I have what is called the BRCA1 gene mutation and had an elective double mastectomy in April because my chances of BC are 87%.

You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

Melissa Merrell McOmber

www.lifeistobeenjoyed.blogspot.com

meegz said...

I'm so glad you, very deservingly, received the quilt. It isn't much -- but it's so you know we are always thinking and praying for you. After much prayer on Michelle's part, she had her fingers and legs crossed that you would win it! YIPPEE!:)
I will continue to pray for you and your family as you head into this surgery. Always remember the Lord is with you. He is especially mindful of you at this time. The theme I have been reminding the 12-13 year olds this month is "the opposite of faith is fear" Easier said than done, i know.
Your stregth is being tested beyond measure -- continue to use it, I know you have it! I love you!

Dan Chase said...

Jeneal, It was great to have you meet Amber in the chemo room. She really enjoyed talking to you and it made her chemo go by really fast. We are both feel certain that there is some reason you two have met and look forward to getting to know you and Bruce better. If you need to talk with someone who knows what you are going through, Amber was very serious about that when she gave you her cell number. Our prayers will be with you as you go into surgery tomorrow.
-Dan Chase-

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanel. I am going to cut and paste a blog that was meant to be on your page....not sure how it did not end up there, but Tom has been trying to sign on to yours :)

Tom's view from the other side
Hello!

I recently found out that one of the many favorite student's that I have been lucky enough to be part of their educational experience has cancer. Her name is Jeanel and she happens to be one of the funniest people that I have ever known. Jeanel is also one of the most intelligent former student's that I have ever been around so when you add wit and intelligence one has to be on their toes!

As my blog implies, my wife (Joyce) has been battling a super aggressive breast cancer and I am constantly amazed with her ability to live life to the fullest knowing she has a limited time before her journey here on earth is ended and her new journey begins. Joyce was told in the fall of 2005 that she would not live to see 2006-but guess what she did and she is still going! Unfortunately, Joyce's cancer wasn't treatable-she did try an experimental medication but it did not really do much-if anything. But, she has that same strength that I have noticed after reading Jeanel's blog. It is this inner strength-a spiritual strength that I am constantly in awe. Bot Joyce and Jeanel were sxtremely strong minded people before the cancer and it seems that that same spirit pushes them forward.

Jeanel, good luck with your surgery this week!!! I know that it will turn out great-Joyce and I will be praying for you as well as for your wonderful family!! And by the way, you really look good with the short-hair look. Notice I didn't say bald-it's because my 2 son's are mad that I gave them the bald genes so I promised them that I wouldn't talk about it since they thought I would jinx them (just a little humor-really little). But, you know that there are a million of things more important than hair-I'll be thinking of you sending positive vibes all week-do good Jeanel!

That's it for my very first blog ever. Thanks for reading . . .

amberchase.weebly.com said...

Jeanel,
I was so glad to meet you too. I will be thinking of you today when you are having surgery. My prayers are with you and your family. It is heartbreaking what we have to go through, but so many things that come as a result are heartwarming. I am so glad that you can see the good through the bad. It makes going through this trial a lot better. I know there are times when the bad overwhelms the mind and spirit, but it is always good to remind ourselves to turn to the Savior. I pray everything goes well, and that you have a speedy recovery. Even though I just barely met you, I feel like I know you so well, because we have so much in common. Love, Amber

cristina said...

Hola!

Un gran abrazo de mi parte, con mucho mucho amor. Se que todo estará bien. Eres una persona especial y lo sabes, eres mi amiga con eso ya es suficientes para que este "pegá" con el jefe de arriba.

Te quiero mucho, buena suerte en tu cirugía.

Cristina

Gloria Otto said...

Way to fight the fight with all your heart, might, mind and strength Jeanel !!! Truly if there is only 1 in a million women who have a fighting chance of beating IBC Cancer, it will be you because your tenacious nature is committed to charting new ground, crossing over old boundaries, doing whatever it takes, moving forward with everything in your power to conquer the next challenge and live a full and happy life.

I believe in you Jeanel, and I will be there for you every hard step of the way.

Love Mom