Sunday, January 18, 2009

Iodine Free

This week a lot of my time has been consumed with thinking about what I can and cannot eat based on its iodine content. Basically anything processed has some amount of iodine in it. I can eat fruits, vegtables and carefully prepared homemade things that usually require an extra trip to the grocery store. I've done pretty well except for sneaking a bite of Xander's cookie and brushing the salt off a pretzel bite at the mall. I've made it 9 days without any chocolate...
The ultimate goal of all of this is to starve the thyroid cells throughout my body (which are the only cells that uptake iodine), so that when I get the radioactive iodine treatment it will act like smart bombs and kill the thyroid cancer. The other part of this is not taking my thyroid replacement meds. This gradually zaps my strength and energy and slows my mental processing. I read today that this process lasts any where from 5 days to 1 month.
On Wednesday I had my infusion, which consisted of a triple dose of Herceptin and a dose of the bone strengthener, Zomeda. It took over 2 hours.
I also went to the Huntsman Cancer Institute this week for a second opinion regarding my next round of chemotherapy which will begin a couple of weeks after the radioactive treatment. I need to wait until the new thyroid medicine kicks in and starts up my metabolism again so that the chemo is metabolize and so that I will have the strength to handle it. The doctors aren't really encouraging further chemo at this time, but I really feel like that is what I need to do. I don't know if I will ever feel like enough is enough, but after this next round they won't give me anything else until more cancer is evident.
I was blessed to talk to a friend this week about her experience when her husband passed away from cancer a couple of years ago. It was a sweet conversation that brought a new level of understanding.
I hope all is well and your life is full!
love, Jeanel

7 comments:

shaunandnina said...

Way to go Jeanel! I'm really impressed with the "no chocolate" thing! I still can't believe how fast you have been able to race through these very tough procedures and marvel at your strength.

meegz said...

You are always in our prayers. I can't even begin to imagine your emotions and learning -- you're light years ahead of me.
I admire you for your strength and faith. Keep it up girlfriend!!!

Brandon and Erica said...

You truly are AMAZING! As an on-looker to your blog...I really admire your strength.

I think the low-iodine diet was actually worse than the RAI for me. After 12 days of being on the diet/without my thyroid medication, I once got lost taking my nieces to the park. Crazy how our brains start to feel so foggy. I feel much better now though, and my brain ::seems:: to be functioning at a better pace nowadays.

You are continually in my prayers...hoping everything goes well for you with the RAI.

Melissa-Mc said...

I hope everything goes smoothly. I have hypothyroidism, and when I don't take my meds, I'm pretty much a lump in bed. You are so strong and positive.

Julie said...

Your strength continues to inspire me. I was touched by your husband's Sunday School lesson when he talked about adversity and how it sometimes happens to teach us and make us stronger. It was quite profound coming from him.

suzyQT73 said...

No chocolate, now that takes strength. I love you sister !!!!

Torri P said...

Jeanel! WoW! I just saw your blog, and wow....I am so sorry. You are such a strong woman, and I know if anyone can beat this, its you! Your family is beautiful. I can't believe how big Landon is! Its been a long time since I've seen you! I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers! Take care! You can do it!!