Saturday, January 10, 2009

Progress Note

Wednesday was a marathon day. I met with the radiation oncologist, finished the last of my 44 radiation treatments, met with the endocrinologist to discuss my thyroid radioactive ablation and my 3-week iodine free diet. I also met with my oncologist to discuss my next chemotherapy drug and receive my weekly infusion. Good thing my dad was with me!
My skin is red, toasty, and crusty. I am 2 days into my special diet and I crave everything that I am not suppose to eat. Go figure. Bruce is working hard to help me stick to the menu by making homemade bread, spaghetti sauce, and no-bake cookies. Tonight he said that he feels like a 1950's house wife. I got a good one!!
On Thursday Bruce and I were able to go out with an incredible couple who are also dealing with inflammatory breast cancer. We truly enjoyed their company and share a similar heartache.
On Saturday my sister and niece (Sadie) came up to see us. Sadie's 5th grade class raised $500 and donated it to a family in our neighborhood with new quadruplets.
Our Christmas cards are still on my to-do list. Sorry! Hope the new year is treating you all well.
Love, Jeanel

7 comments:

meegz said...

I'm glad your Dad was with you too. what did all of that mean? What can I do to help the 1950's wife?:)

Anna Linnea said...

You are the women. Sorry to hear about the diet... at least you can eat no baked cookies! Tell Bruce that he is awesome. We love you!

trina said...

So what is next in the treatment program? How did the radiation work?

Ben and Tanya said...

Hi Jeanel, My name is Tanya and I work at Performax Gym in the Kids Club. I have watched your boys many times at the Kids Club. We have missed seeing your boy's cute little faces around there! They are getting so big. I think little Ryker has changed the most! Anyway, we were all wondering why we hadn't seen you around there and then we were recently informed about your struggles with IBC. A woman in my ward was diagnosed with that in November. Before her, I had never heard of it. I can't believe how aggressive that cancer is. Karen told me that you had a blog and I was anxious to see it. I hope you don't mind me dropping in to read it. I want to thank you for posting photos of yourself during such an ordeal. Your courage and strength are truly an inspiration. Just from looking at your photos, I feel like I could feel some of your pain, joys and your great strength. Although I do not know you well, please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for being so positive and strong. What an amazing person you are.

Dan Chase said...

Jeanel,
We really enjoyed talking to you and Bruce at dinner the other night. I could not believe when I saw a clock that we visited for 4.5 hours. Good thing the restaurant was not busy. Thank you sooo much for dinner. It was so nice to talk to someone who understands the thoughts, worries, feelings, the turmoil, and the Lord's peace that are all part of this trial. I have never talked to the spouse of someone with Stage IV cancer. It was nice for me also. Bruce is now one of my favorite people. I could not believe how many things we have in common. We should do dinner or something again.
Thanks again,

Dan&Amber Chase

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year my friend!!!
Looking forward to making my way to UT when you have some free time!
Hugs!!

The Young Matriarch said...

Jeannel it is Karen from your dad's "old" practice. Your boys are adorable. Your family, what can I say... Was great to see SJO. I sure miss having him at the Clinic. Always did, but his visit re-iterated that and reminded me of the stability I could always depend on from him. Keep up the fight Jeanel just keep up the fight...... So long for now Karen Bennett