Sunday, February 1, 2009

Radioactive

Yeah! Another thing to check off my list of things to do...
On Monday I had my radioactive iodine treatment in an attempt to kill any thyroid cells that may have remained throughout my body. It was no big deal and I have not suffered any side effects to this point. After finding out that I am indeed NOT pregnant (we weren't worried, but the medical community needed to be certain...) , and after consulting with the radiologist, I was led to the back of the nuclear medicine department where a tiny little vial of clear liquid awaited me underneath a protective awning. I sipped the I-131 through a straw, added some more water to the vial a couple of times to make sure I got it all and walked out. That was it.
Such activity has caused me to be isolated for the remainder of the week. Megan Eborn braved the radioactivity as she took me to the hospital and then to the hotel. I spent the first night at a hotel because the during the first 24 hours after the treatment, 80% of the radioactivity is emitted. The rest of the week I have spent at my parent's so that the boys would not be exposed.
I can't remember the last time I have had so much peace and quiet! It has been very refreshing and much needed. I was very run down after not having any thyroid replacement medication (which gives you energy and metabolism) for three weeks and not being able to eat a normal diet.
Speaking of which, Thursday was a blessed day because I began taking my thyroid medication and was able to eat! Bruce took me out to dinner so that we could celebrate. Our booth was very large, which was good because I still needed to be 5-7 feet away from people to avoid exposing them to my radioactivity. None the less it was a very pleasant dinner and the food was great!
Although I have been away from home and the boys I have been able to catch up on some much needed rest. The boys have done remarkably well and I have been able to appreciate the difference in their 'phone personalities'. Landon loves to talk about his day and update me on his progress on his DS (it sure sounds like he is playing more than his allotted 30 minutes...), Xander is Mr. One-Word-Answer, and Ryker is so excited and gets his point across quite well. I am grateful that I will be able to return home tonight and greet all 4 of my boys with a big hug in the morning.
It has been a good week and I have been able to take advantage of this time to reflect on life, my attitude, my goals, and my relationship with my Savior, my family, and my friends. I know how important it is to live in the moment and to be happy today. Love and prayer are powerful. Thanks for both! Jeanel

6 comments:

Melissa-Mc said...

Hooray! Another hurdle conquered. I have hypothyroidism and love my meds too. Take care.

meegz said...

So glad the week was restful -- and OH so glad you can eat and be medicated again! I sure do think of you lots and care about you. Loved seeing the cute boys are church today. Don't worry, no markers this time.:)
BTW, I didn't "brave" anything, you are brave enough for us all.
Take care!!!

Dan Chase said...

Jeanel,
Thank you so much for visiting Amber. She enjoyed the visit very much. She gets so bored at home sometimes since she cannot drive and longs for visits from friends and family during the day. Its alway nice to visit with a friend who understands. Plus with our little boys and yours you two have a lot in common. We are so glad that being radioactive was so relaxing and enjoyable. Its to bad that mothers cannot even get a few minutes of peace and quiet in the bathroom so they have to resort to "the chemo room" or sipping a radioactive cocktail until they are glowing in order to get some much deserved R&R. Take care and say hello to Bruce from us. Love Dan & Amber

Cynthia and Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia and Joe said...

You are an amazing women, I love reading your comments & I am glad you are doing so well. Your pictures of your family are great, glad you had time to rest. You are always so postive. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love, your Stake RS Pres
Helen Stephenson

Unknown said...

Jeanel,
I had been talking about you lately in a conversation with my husband. When I did a search for you I found your site. I am so sorry to hear of your "fight". So I just wanted to let you know that there are now four more people thinking of you and praying for you and your family. We will continue to check your site for updates. God bless.

Shawn(LeMieux), Randy, Brianna and Jonah Kowalsky

Your boys are beautiful!