Sunday, August 3, 2008

Not So Bad

Now that we are a little further down this road I am going to try to do an update every Sunday.
The big shave was on Friday, August 1st. It was a day that I will never forget. I am so grateful that my mom and Brooke were with me. When I got home I was wishing that the boys were in bed so that I could take the wig off because it was/is extremely itchy. Quickly it became too uncomfortable to care who was around. I had yet to see myself, so Bruce I and went together for the unveiling. Again, the sadness came, but so did relief. It is a part of the journey that I expected and now can check off the list.
After Bruce and I had our moment, we took the boys up to our room and let them see my new doo. Bruce had just taken them to get their hair cut so they were able to relate. They took it in stride and didn't seem to be emotionally scarred. Landon thinks I have a boy's hair cut, Xander says I'm beautiful but occasionally asks me to put my hair back on and tells me he can't take his hair off, and Ryker pets me and says, "hair".
The wig itself is passable if you don't look to closely, but I don't think I'm much of a wig-chic. I much prefer throwing on my new pink Park City baseball hat. Too bad the scarf/bandana market is skewed towards grandmas.
Anyway, in relative comparison my hair is of little consequence. But at the same time, the big picture continues to be overwhelming. In order to keep functioning as normally as possible, I try to focus on today and the immediate future. I am mindful of taking time to enjoy the boys a little more and marvel at how blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband and loving and supportive family and friends.
Thanks and God Bless!
Love Jeanel

4 comments:

meegz said...

Thanks so much for the updates on here. you are right that it helps others to be comforted -- but I hope it helps you to write a bit too. Writing is great therapy.
I do love you - and like I said, think of you often.

Please remember that the Lord will never leave you - he loves you and is forever watching over you. Continue to look to him in all you do.

You are such a strong and talented woman -- I'm sure there are times that you wish you were weaker so you didnt' have trials:) -- but I know that you have been given this trial for a purpose. Heaven knows what it is -- but the Lord sees your strength and is mindful.

I love you and thank you for your strength and talent -- it has touched me.

you go girl!!!:) I'm excited to see the hair when I get home...

suzyQT73 said...

Hey Jeanel,

I think I have this site figured out. You are such an inspiration to all of us. I admire you more now than I did before. And I had you on a pretty high pedestal before. Ü

Congrats on your appointment at the Huntsman Center.

You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers and always the reason for our fasts.

Love, Amy and family

Mimi said...

Hi Jeanel,
This is Megan's mom. She's been telling me about your fight. My prayers and faith are with you and your family. Miracles do still happen. The foundation of our strength is our faith and trust in the Lord and His omnipotence. Seek for the confirmation of His love and concern daily and always keep that beautiful smile I see in your pictures!

dave and candace said...

Boo Ya!
Way to go, you did it! One more hurdle has been jumped. You are amazing and I can't even believe how well you look and feel after how many treatments you've had. I sure love to visit teach with you and you are an inspiration to me. You are always in our hearts and prayers. I love ya, Carpe Diem!
Candace