Sunday, August 24, 2008

Landon Turns 6. Thyroid Cancer Too?



This has been a crazy week! On Monday I had a biopsy to see if the nodules on my thyroid were cancerous. On Wednesday we found out that not only are they cancerous, but they are a completely separate and independent form of cancer. I was fortunate enough to meet with the endocrinologist on Thursday (they are booked out until November). She was able to help us understand how this affects our current picture. Unlike most cancers, thyroid cancer is actually curable- if it hasn't spread. I will need to have my thyroid taken out, followed by a radioactive treatment. I am meeting with an ENT tomorrow to see how this can be coordinated with my mastectomy. I have also decided to have a bone biopsy to see if the cancer in my ribs/vertebrae is from my thyroid or breast cancer.
Bruce and I have wondered how this new news would have affected us had I not already had breast cancer. As is, it is just another bump in the road, but I was a little offended by the oncologist thinking the finding was "interesting".
I had my 7th chemo treatment on Wednesday. Things continue to plug along. My skin continues to look more normal, the tumor is harder and harder to find, my blood counts are really good and my energy level is pretty good. My tired days are Friday and Saturday, but better than expected.
On Friday we celebrated Landon's 6th birthday. I was able to go to his 1st grade class and play hangman with his classmates, as well as share his birthday treat. His cousin, Wilson, was also able to spend the night. On Saturday, Landon had his first big party- we went to a gymnastics gym and had lots of friends and family there to celebrate. Kim helped me make a Pokemon cake decoration- Landon loved it! Landon is an amazing person. I learn from him every day. I love how he is so bright and full of life. He is bursting with things to say and wants to experience life to it's fullest. He is so sweet and loves to be my helper. We have a special bond and I am so blessed to have him as my first baby.
Thanks again for your love and support! I can feel the strength of your love and support!
Jeanel

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanel,

Checking in and sending a big "hi" from Reno. I know you are an awesome driver from all your chicago days so this speed bump will be no problem!

Hugs and prayers,
michelle

Leslie said...

Jeanel,

I am sorry for the insensativity of the oncologist. I know that as a healthcare professional it is very easy to say something that can come across badly without realizing it. I have done it too- unfortunately. Somedays it is just a day on the job for them, without realizing that this is your life and future.
I saw you twice today out and about and I feel bad because I had that feeling like I should stop and see how you were doing. I am sorry now that I didn't.
Again, thanks so much for the updates. It is so good to read how everything is going for you.
We (you, me, Brigette and Janene) still need to get together sometime to do lunch. Now that the kids are in school we should see if we could squeeze it in one of these days.
I miss chatting with you on a weekly basis. If you ever want to come to primary you're welcome to be a visitor in my class!
Love ya, Leslie

Julie said...

You are the bravest person I know.
Romans 12:12

meegz said...

I love you Jeanel.

You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Nicole said...

Jeanel,

Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family. We had a head shaving party for Terry when he had is brain surgery - it was pretty hilarious. You are beautiful and I know that prayers are answered. We love you.

Terry and Nicole Johnson

karenhroth said...

Jeanel,
I continue to read your updates and keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up your strength and positive attitude!!
Love,
Karen