Friday, October 10, 2008

Silver Lining

I am home (or I should say, at Suzette's)!
Yesterday was a big day. I got my calcium levels checked 6 times, the tubes pulled out of my chest and my throat, my IV out, and all of the stitches out of my chest. I continue to have fluid build up in my chest wall on both sides-- I'm not sure how or when that will be resolved...
The pathology is back from my neck surgery and shows just thryroid cancer (no breast cancer). Yeh!!!!
Upon arrival at the hospital I was asked to put on the hospital garb, including the tight white stockings. I'm not suppose to use much force with my arms, so Bruce had to put them on me. It took us so long (with great effort and lots of laughs) that the nurses kept checking in on us to be sure we were ok... I'm so glad that we still have plenty of things to laugh about.
My nephew, Sam, counted the stitches in my neck-- he is pretty sure there are 24. I will get them out on Monday. On Tuesday I will have my next treatment with the oncologist and have a follow up with the general surgeon. I will also start physical therapy next week to help get rid of the swelling and gain more arm range of motion.checking in on us.
Bruce has been a great help in attending to all of my needs and keeping my spirits up. I am so grateful that one of his gifts is to see the silver lining in our circumstance and help me do the same.
I am grateful for modern science, medicine and surgery. I am grateful for a surgeon who has sacrificed so much time and effort to be skilled at taking care of the hard stuff. I am grateful for caring staff (not the phloebotomist) and a clean hospital. I am grateful for my wonderful family. Last night I enjoyed a nice, cozy room with soft linens, no mid-night blood draws, no machines and lots of loving concern. I am so indebted to my friends and family who have jumped in with everything they have to take care of me and the needs of our family. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who gives me all that I can handle and takes care of the rest.
Love Jeanel

5 comments:

Melissa-Mc said...

I'm glad you are able to see those silver linings during hard times. Rest well and heal quickly. You are still in our prayers.

Anna Linnea said...

So glad to hear that you are out of the hospital and doing well. I'm sure your sis will take good care of you. Keep seeing the silver lining in life, you have so much to live for! Keep fighting, we love you!

Teresa said...

I'm a friend of Melissa-Mc and followed the link she put on her blog to your blog. The tears sure come when reading about everything you're going through. You and your husband are amazing...and your children are beautiful. You have such great attitudes and great strength. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,
Teresa

Julie said...

It's good that you can be so grateful at a time when many would just feel bitter. You're in my prayers. Thanks for your amazing example!

The Garver Family said...

I am indeed grateful that I was slacking and therefore had the opportunity to read your blog. What an amazing story. You are truly an inspiration and I hope that you truly know how much our Father in Heaven loves you and is aware of you. What a wonderful family.