Saturday, October 18, 2008

Starting Chemo Again

We have had a change of plans this week. On Wednesday I went into my oncologist to get a maintenance drug and my bone treatment, which would have been followed by radiation in a few weeks. Instead we decided I should start the dreaded chemo they call the "Red Devil". I will have a treatment every other week, for a total of 4 treatments. My last treatment will be the day before Thanks Giving. I will then start radiation in December. This will be the year that my holidays are spent fighting the fight so that I can enjoy many more holiday seasons to come!
I was unable to start the chemo on Wednesday because my neck incision was not healed sufficiently. So I began the chemo on Friday and so far so good. For the cost of the anti-nausea meds, I hope to continue feeling pretty well...
On Wednesday I also met with my general surgeon. I have had some considerable amount of fluid build up in both breasts (we affectionately call them "side boobs" because ,most of the fluid build up is toward my sides), but the right one was the only one that bothered me, so to limit infection risk, it was the only one drained. My doctor was able to drain more than 9 ounces.
Both of my parents are in town so my mom has been able to take care of the kids and the home front, while my dad has been able to go with me to my medical appointments. We are so grateful for their love and support.
I started physical therapy for my arm range of motion and swelling after my surgery. I am hoping to do the majority on my own, but if I get lymphedema I will need more help. I really like my new PT and I'm on the hunt to find the right guy to set her up with. She is 30, cute, skinny, brunette, and very pleasant. I've already got a person in mind, but suggestions are welcome.
I have really enjoyed being back at home with Bruce and the boys. They have done well being soft and keeping things to a dull roar. It's amazing how much better I feel just being back with family.
Thanks! Please keep praying for us. We've been blessed with many miracles along the way.
Love, Jeanel

8 comments:

Julie said...

"To me hope embodies happy feelings, anticipation of good things, the best of the gospel, and zest for life."
-Elaine L. Jack
Keep the hope alive!

Deborah said...

I don't know you very well, but you are in my prayers every night. I might be just a thirteen year old kid, but I still care. Never give up hope, and never stop believing!
-Deborah Richins

sam and brittney said...

Hi. I am a friend of Page Otto. I was at their wedding and met you there. Page told me your situation. I have been reading your blog and I am amazed at your strength and positive attitude. You are in my prayers.

Melissa-Mc said...

I hope all infections quickly go away so you can get chemo behind you. You are going to feel so fantastic in 2009!

Jenn said...

Glad things are going well - it was so good to see you at the Halloween party! And thanks so much for that caramel apple - we really enjoyed it.
And as always, if you ever need anything ...

Christanne said...

Jeanel--Still keeping you in our prayer and keep up with your blog. I hope that all the treatments go well and are effective.

meegz said...

You are so beautiful to me --- (okay you really need to sing that to get the jist of what I mean:))

You are one amazing woman -- keep fighting. I put your name in the temple again this morning. You are tops on the list of prayers. Julie and Deborah have some pretty awesome words for you. Might I echo them and remind you how much I love and care about you and your sweeeeet family.

Give Bruce my love also - -he is a trooper!!

Yesterday, Landon rolled down his window at the stop sign on 193 and yells "HI MEGAN" SOOOO Cute! I Love you all!!

meegz said...

BTW, KICK SOME RED DEVIL BUTT!!:)