Sunday, May 3, 2009

Done with Chemo Forever?!

How nice would it be to never have to have chemo again?! It is hard to let myself go down that road because of the heartache that accompanies disappointment, but... When I think about life without chemo, suddenly I have so much more time in my week and so much more energy to live. I think of nice long walks, playing outside with the boys, going to the gym, working, mowing the lawn, having the strength to actually 'scrub' when I clean, going up and down the stairs without a second thought -- basically having energy to do whatever I want to without having to take a break or having to prioritize my activities. I also think about having my hair back and wonder if my skin will ever be back to normal. I wonder how I ever took my health for granted. I think about the future. I think about my boys in school, graduating, getting married. I think about family vacations, missions, and grandkids... Life without chemo- what a wonderful thought!
Today I am taking it easy. On Friday I had my 20th chemo treatment and I do best if I do nothing at all for 3 or 4 days. Remarkably, I have kept most of my hair during this last round of treatments. It has thinned as the weeks have gone by and now it threatens to fall out with every turn of my head. I have been incredibly blessed with energy and minimal nausea. I have kept my finger nails, my hands don't itch, and I have my parents helping me this week while Bruce is at a medical conference. Even with chemo, I've got it good!
Thanks for your love, support, and continued prayers!
Jeanel

6 comments:

meegz said...

Thanks for reminding me not to take my health for granted. I'll see you tomorrow night -- in case your mum forgets I'm bringing ya all dinner at 5.:) get some rest!!!

soccer mom 5 said...

Great picture of you and the boys!

Melissa-Mc said...

Lots of prayers that you are indeed done with chemo forever! On to a new phase and you are just as strong as ever.

shaunandnina said...

I pray so hard that you get your wish!

Sam said...

I will add my prayers to those of your friends and family, and believe that you are done with chemo forever. God bless you. :)

Torri P said...

You are ABSOLUTELY amazing! Such a great example!