Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Race for the Cure

A couple of weeks ago Brooke mentioned that some friends from work were planning on participating in the Race for the Cure in SLC and were wondering if I felt up to joining them. I was a little hesitant because I would be just one week out from chemo and probably wouldn't have the energy to walk 5K. I was assured that a wheelchair would be available if needed, so I happily accepted the invitation.


I then asked my family, including Sue, to join the festivities.




The race was a huge success, with an estimated 18,000 to 20,000 in attendance. The energy and spirit were incredible. It was great to feel the unity and power of so many people fighting the fight. Stories were told through signs, shirts, banners and cheers. It was a life-changing day and I am grateful to have been able to share it with family and friends.



2 comments:

meegz said...

i've been waiting for these pics!!! I'm still kicking myself that I didn't search this date out. I'm sooo glad you got to do it. there's just something about events like that.
You're a superwoman -- a 5K after chemo!!! Right on sistah!!!

Anonymous said...

Jeanel I wish so bad that I could of been there. I saw it on the news and it brought tears to my eyes to see all the support that people are giving. It makes me glad cuz I know my chances of breast cancer are great and to see people supporting this cause is awesome!!!